Vanuatu Sessional Legislation
Download original PDF
REPUBLIC OF VANUATU
THE COCONUT CRABS (PROTECTION) ACT
No. 27 OF 1981
Arrangement of sections
2. Prohibition of catching coconut crabs
To provide for the protection of Coconut Crabs.
Be it enacted by the President and Parliament as follows: -
1. In this Act -
"Coconut Crab" means a crab of the species Birgus latro;
"Minister" means the Minister for the time being responsible for Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
Prohibition of catching coconut crabs
2. No person shall catch, buy or sell -
(a) any female coconut crab carrying eggs;
(b) any coconut crab the total length of the carapace of which, measured from immediately behind the rostral horn to the rear edge of the carapace in the mid line as illustrated in the schedule is less than 9 centimetres.
3. The Minister may make orders not inconsistent with this Act for its better carrying into effect.
4. Any person who contravenes the provisions of this Act or of any Order made thereunder commits an offence and on conviction shall be liable to a fine not exceeding VT100, 000.
5. This Act shall come into force on the date of its publication in the Gazette.