Papua New Guinea Sessional Legislation
Download original PDF
INDEPENDENT STATE OF PAPUA NEW GUINEA.
CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT NO. 26 – ORGANIC LAWS.
No. of 2003.
Certified on: 27.10.03
In Operation: 16.09.1975
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTION.
Organic Laws (Amendment of Section 12).
Constitutional Amendment No. 26 - Organic Laws,
Being a Law to alter the Constitution by amending the provision relating to Organic Laws,
MADE by the National Parliament, to be deemed to have come into operation on 16 September 1975:
ORGANIC LAWS (AMENDMENT OF SECTION 12).
Section 12 of the Constitution is amended —
(a) by repealing Subsection (1) and replacing it with the following:-
- "(1) Subject to Subsection (4), for the purposes of this Constitution, an Organic Law is a law made by the Parliament that is -
- (a) for or in respect of a matter provision for which by way of an Organic Law is authorized by this Constitution; and
- (b) not inconsistent with this Constitution; and
- (c) expressed to be an Organic Law."; and
(b) by adding the following new subsection:-
- "(4) Where this Constitution authorizes an Organic Law to make provision for any matter, the Organic Law may -
- (a) make full provision for all aspects of that matter notwithstanding that all such aspects have not been expressly referred to in the provision authorizing the Organic Law except where this Constitution-expressly limits the aspects of that matter for which provision may be made in an Organic Law; and
- (b) may impose conditions, restrictions or modifications in respect of that matter or any aspect of it, except where this Constitution expressly states that conditions, restrictions or modifications shall not be imposed in respect of that matter.".
I hereby certify that the above is a fair print of the Constitutional Amendment No. 26 - Organic Laws which has been made by the National Parliament.
Clerk of the National Parliament.
CERTIFICATE UNDER SECTION 14.
I, BILL SKATE, Speaker of the National Parliament, hereby certify that the requirements of Section 14(1), (2) and (3) of the Constitution were complied with in respect of the Constitutional Amendment No. 26 —Organic Laws, and that the law was made by the National Parliament as follows:-
(a) the first vote was taken on 14 March 2003 when the number of seats in the National Parliament were 109 and those voting for the proposal were 73 and none voted against the proposal; and :.
(b) the second vote was taken on 22 May 2003 when the number of seats in the National Parliament were 109 and those voting for the proposal were 78 and none voted against the proposal.
Speaker of the National Parliament.