Fiji Promulgations and Decrees
Download original PDF
GOVERNMENT OF FIJI
POLITICAL PARTIES (REGISTRATION, CONDUCT, FUNDING AND DISCLOSURES)(AMENDMENT) (NO. 2) DECREE 2013
(DECREE NO. 27 OF 2013)
IN exercise of the powers vested in me as President of the Republic of Fiji and the Commander in Chief of the Republic of Fiji Military Forces by virtue of the Executive Authority of Fiji Decree 2009, I hereby make the following Decree—
TO AMEND THE POLITICAL PARTIES (REGISTRATION, CONDUCT, FUNDING AND DISCLOSURES) DECREE 2013
Short title and commencement
1.—(1) This Decree may be cited as the Political Parties (Registration, Conduct, Funding and Disclosures)(Amendment) (No. 2) Decree 2013 and shall come into force of the date of its publication in the Gazette.
(2) The Political Parties (Registration, Conduct, Funding and Disclosures) Decree 2013 shall be referred to as the "Principal Decree".
Section 24 amended
2. Section 24 of the Principal Decree is amended by inserting the following new subsection after subsection (5)—
"(6) For the purposes of this section, "children" means any child, step-child or adopted child who is—
(a) under the age of 18 years; or
(b) over the age of 18 years and is dependent on his or her parents for support."
New section inserted
3. The Principal Decree is amended by inserting the following new section after section 26—
"Powers of the Registrar
26A.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this Decree, the Registrar shall have all powers necessary to carryout its functions under this Decree.
(2) Notwithstanding the generality of subsection (1) if the Registrar has reason to believe that a personhas information or documents relevant to or required by the Registrar for the performance of his or her duties under this Decree, the Registrar may by notice in writing, direct the person to furnish such information or documents to the Registrar.
(3) Any person who, having been lawfully required under this section to disclose any information or documents to the Registrar under subsection (2) shall, notwithstanding the provisions of any other law on confidentiality, privilege or secrecy, comply with such direction and any such person who fails to comply with the directions of the Registrar or provides information that is false, commits an offence and shall be liable upon conviction—
(a) in the case of a natural person — to a fine not exceeding $50,000 or to a term of imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or to both; and (b) in the case of a company, association or body of persons, Government department, non-governmental organisation, Statutory Authority or entity — to a fine not exceeding $500,000 and for the Director, Chief Executive Officer, Minister, Manager or officer in charge for the time being, to a fine not exceeding 50,000 or to a term of imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or to both.
(4) For the purposes of this section, a "person" means a natural or legal person and includes a company, association or body of persons, corporate or unincorporate, Government department, non-governmental organisation, Statutory Authority or any entity."
GIVEN under my hand this 17th day of October 2013.
President of the Republic of Fiji