Fiji Promulgations and Decrees
REPUBLIC OF FIJI
DECREE NO. 19
PROTECTION OF THE NATIONAL ECONOMY DECREE, 1991
A DECREE TO MAKE PROVISION FOR THE PROTECTION OF THE NATIONAL ECONOMY AND THE ECONOMIC STABILITY AND WELL BEING OF FIJI AND RELATED MATTERS
IN exercise of the powers vested in me as President of the Sovereign Democratic Republic of Fiji and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, and acting in accordance with the advice of the Prime Minister and the Cabinet, I hereby make the following Decree:
Short title and Interpretation
1.-(1) This Decree may be cited as the Protection of the National Economy Decree 1991.
(2) In this Decree the expression "Minister" refers to the Minister responsible for finance.
Statement of Duty
2. It shall be the duty and responsibility of every citizen of Fiji whether residing in Fiji or abroad or any person residing in Fiji whether permanently or otherwise not to commit any act or omission either individually or in concert with other persons that will harm or likely to cause harm to the national economy of Fiji.
3.-(1) Any person who does any act or makes any omission that harms the operation of any major industry which threatens or is likely to threaten the economic life of Fiji commits an offence and upon conviction shall be liable to a fine of $10,000 or a sentence of 14 years or to both such fine and term of imprisonment.
(2) Any person who counsels, incites or encourages a person to commit any act or omission that harms the operation of a major industry which threatens or is likely to threaten the economic life of Fiji commits an offence and upon conviction shall be liable to a fine of $5,000 or a sentence of 7 years onto both such fine and term of imprisonment.
(3) When a person guilty of an offence under this section is a body corporate, trade union, industrial association or any organisation, every director, officer and official of such body shall be guilty of the like offence who authorises or permits the act or omission constituting the offence.
Major industry defined
4.-(1) A 'major industry' is an industry listed in the Schedule to this Decree.
(2) The Minister may by notice published in the gazette amend the list of major industry in the Schedule.
5. The Minister may make regulations for the proper implementation and efficient administration of this Decree and for any other purposes connected therewith.
Sanction of Director of Public Prosecutions
6. No prosecution under this Decree shall be commenced without the sanction of the Director of Public Prosecutions.
Made the 29th day of May 1991.
PENAIA K. GANILAU
President of the Sovereign Democratic Republic
of Fiji and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces
Fiji Electricity Authority
Mining and Oil (including Exploration and Exploitation)