Fiji Promulgations and Decrees
REPUBLIC OF FIJI
POUND ACT (AMENDMENT) DECREE 1990
A DECREE TO AMEND THE POUND ACT
IN exercise of the powers vested in me as President and Commander-in-Chief of the Republic of Fiji, I, acting in accordance with the advice of Prime Minister and Cabinet, hereby make the following Decree-
1.-(1) This Decree may be cited as the Pound Act (Amendment) Decree 1990.
(2) In this Decree, the Pound Act is referred to as “the principal Act”.
2. The Principal Act is amended by deleting the words "Commissioner of any Division" and any variation thereof wherever they appear in the principal Act and substituting the words "Permanent Secretary".
Section 2 amended
3. Section 2 of the principal Act is amended-
(a) by inserting after the word “Act” in the first line the following-
"unless the context otherwise requires-";
(b) by deleting the words "the term" in the first line;
(c) by inserting before the definition of "poundable animal" the following-
"Minister" means the Minster responsible for agriculture;
"Permanent Secretary" means the Permanent Secretary responsible for agriculture”.
Section 3 amended
4. Section 3 of the principal Act is amended by deleting the first five lines and substituting the following-
"The Permanent Secretary may direct the establishment of such pounds as he considers necessary. Such pounds shall be erected at the expense of and be the property of the Government, and the establishment of each such pound shall be notified in the Gazette".
Section 4 amended
5. Section 4 of the principal Act is amended by deleting the words "responsible for finance" in the third line of subsection (2).
Section 11 amended
6. Section 11 of the principal Act is amended by deleting the sum "$10" and substituting the words "one hundred dollars".
Section 14 amended
7. Section 14 of the principal Act is amended-
(a) by inserting after the word "days" in the second line, the words "and in such manner";
(b) by deleting the words, "by public auction" in the third line;
(c) by deleting the words "to the best bidder on receiving the amount of the" in the fifth line.
(d) by deleting the sixth and seventh lines and inserting a colon after the word “animal” in the fifth line
(e) by deleting the third and fourth lines in paragraph (b) of the proviso and inserting a fullstop after the word “impounded” in the second line.
Sections 15, 16 & 18 repealed
8. The following Sections are hereby repealed–
(a) Section 15
(b) Section 16
(c) Section 18
Section 17 amended
9. Section 17 of the principal Act is amended –
(a) by deleting the word “such” in the sixth line of the proviso to subsection (1) and substituting the word “the”
(b) by repealing subsection (2)
Section 19 amended
10. Section 19 of the principal Act is amended by deleting the word “A” in subsection (2) and substituting the word “The”.
Dated this 31st day of May 1990
PENAIA K. GANILAU
President and Commander-in-Chief