Fiji Promulgations and Decrees
Download original PDF
GOVERNMENT OF FIJI
NATIVE LAND TRUST (AMENDMENT) DECREE 2010
(DECREE No. 32 OF 2010)
IN exercise of the powers vested in me as President of the Republic of Fiji and the Commander in Chief of the Republic of Fiji Military Forces by virtue of the Executive Authority of Fiji Decree 2009, I hereby make the following Decree -
1. This Decree may be cited as the Native Land Trust (Amendment) Decree 2010.
Section 3 amended
2. Section 3 of the Native Land Trust Act [Cap. 134] ("the Act") is amended by -
(a) repealing subsection (1) and replacing with the following-
"(1) There is hereby established a Board of trustees called the Native Land Trust Board, which shall consist of -
(a) the Minister as Chairman; .
(b) five members, all of whom must be members of i Taukei land owning units, appointed by the Minister responsible for i Taukei Affairs;
(c) three members appointed by the Minister on the recommendation of the i Taukei Affairs Board from a list of nominees submitted by provincial councils to the i Taukei. Affairs Board; and
(d) two other members, appointed by the Minister."
(b) repealing subsection (2) (a) and (b), and replacing with the following -
"(2) The members appointed under section 1(b), (c) and (d) shall hold office for a period of three years, and may be removed by the Minister for inability to perform the functions of the Board (whether arising from infirmity of body or mind, absence, misbehaviour or for any other cause)."
(c) repealing subsection (3) and replacing with the following -
"(3) At all meetings of the Board, the Minister shall preside, and in the absence of the Minister, the present members shall elect one person to preside."
(d) repealing paragraph (a) of subsection (4) and replacing with the following -
"(a) At all meetings of the Board, five members shall form a quorum, one of whom shall be the person presiding."
Section 18 amended
3. Section 18 of the Act is amended by deleting the word "President" wherever it appears and replacing with "Minister".
New section 37 inserted
4. The Act is amended by inserting the following new section after section 36 -
"Reference to President in any document
37. Any document of the Board of any nature whatsoever, which contains a reference to the President is deemed to have been amended by deleting 'the President' and replacing with 'the Minister'."
GIVEN under my hand this 1st day of July 2010.
President of the Republic of Fiji