Fiji Promulgations and Decrees
Download original PDF
GOVERNMENT OF FIJI
MARRIAGE (AMENDMENT) DECREE 2010
(DECREE No. 64 of 2010)
IN exercise of the powers vested in me as President of the Republic of Fiji and the Commander in Chief of the Republic of Fiji Military Forces by virtue of the Executive Authority of Fiji Decree 2009, I hereby make the following Decree -
A DECREE TO AMEND PART II OF THE MARRIAGE ACT (CAP. 50) TO ENABLE THE ATTORNEY GENERAL TO APPOINT AND ORDER THE REGISTRATION OF SUITABLY QUALIFIED PERSONS AS CIVIL MARRIAGE CELEBRANTS TO SOLEMNISE CIVIL MARRIAGES IN FIJI.
Citation and commencement
1. - (1) This Decree may be cited as the Marriage (Amendment) Decree 2010.
(2) This Decree shall commence on the date appointed by the Minister by notice in the Gazette.
(3) In this Decree, the Marriage Act (Cap.50) is referred to as "the Act".
2. Section 2 of the Act is amended by inserting the definition of "civil marriage celebrants" before the definition of 'district' -
"Civil Marriage Celebrant" means a person registered as a marriage officer under section 5A of this Decree."
New sections 5A
3. The Act is amended by inserting a new section 5A after section 5 -
"Registration of Civil Marriage Celebrants
5A - (1) Any person other than a public officer may apply to the Attorney-General in the prescribed form for registration as a Civil Marriage Celebrant.
(2) The Attorney-General upon receiving an application must be satisfied, amongst other things, that the applicant -
(a) is a person who is of good character and standing in the community;
(b) will diligently perform the duties of a marriage officer pursuant to this Act; and
(c) is able to satisfy all other relevant conditions applicable to the regulations.
(3) The Registrar-General shall enter all names of persons approved under this section onto the annual list of marriage officers.
(4) The Attorney-General may also specify conditions applicable to the licence issued under this section.
(5) The Attorney-General may revoke a licence if any of the terms, conditions or regulations are breached."
New Section SB
4. The Act is amended by inserting anew section 5B after section 5A -
5B - The Attorney-General may make regulations to govern and implement this Decree."
Given under my hand this 13th day of December 2010.
President of the Republic of Fiji