Fiji Promulgations and Decrees
Download original PDF
INTERIM GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF THE FIJI ISLANDS
LAND TRANSPORT AUTHORITY (AMENDMENT) PROMULGATION 2008
(PROMULGATION NO. 1 OF 2009)
IN EXERCISE of the powers conferred upon the Interim Government, and upon the exercise of my own deliberate judgment as President of the Republic of Fiji Islands as to what is best and good for the people of Fiji, and by the executive authority of the state in accordance with section 85 of the Constitution and such powers as may appertain, and with the advice of the Cabinet. I, Josefa Iloiloivatu Uluivuda make this Promulgation to—
TO AMEND THE LAND TRANSPORT ACT 1998
Short Title and commencement
1. This Promulgation may be cited as the Land Transport Authority (Amendment) Promulgation 2008 and comes into force on the 1st of January 2009.
Section 8 amended
2. Section 8 of the Land Transport Act of 1998 ("the Act") is amended in subsection (1)-
(i) by deleting paragraph (f) and substituting it with the following —
- "(f) to administer, implement and control the collection of Road User Levy for the road infrastructure, maintenance, upgrade and development of roads, to ensure the safe transporting of passengers and goods;
(ii) by adding a new paragraph—
- "(g) to do anything incidental or conducive to the performance of any of the preceding functions."
Section 24 amended
3. Section 24 of the Act is amended-
(i) in subsection (1) by adding after paragraph (b) the following new paragraph—
- "(c) the Road User Levy collected by the Authority, appropriated for Government.;"
(ii) by repealing subsection (2) and substituting a new paragraph —
- "(2) Any money received by or on behalf of the Authority under this Act or any other written law shall be received and paid by the Authority to the Consolidated Fund except the Road User Levy which shall be paid into the Infrastructure Rehabilitation and Development Fund Account held by the Authority for the Ministry responsible for Transport."
Section 52 amended
4. Section 52 of the Act is amended by adding after paragraph (1), the following new paragraph—
"(2) Any motor vehicle or trailer shall not be registered or the registration of a motor vehicle or trailer shall not be renewed unless the Road User Levy has been paid under the provisions of this Act."
Given under my hand this 24th of December 2008.
J. I. ULUIVUDA
President of the Republic of the Fiji Islands