Fiji Promulgations and Decrees
Download original PDF
GOVERNMENT OF FIJI
LAW REFORM (MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS)
(DEATH AND INTEREST) (AMENDMENT) DECREE 2011
(DECREE No. 46 OF 2011)
IN exercise of the powers vested in me as President of the Republic of Fiji and the Commander in Chief of the Republic of Fiji Military Forces by virtue of the Executive Authority of Fiji Decree 2009, I hereby make the following Decree. –
Short title and commencement
1. This Decree maybe cited as the Law Reform (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Death and Interest) (Amendment) Decree 2011, and shall come into force on the date of its publication in the Gazette.
New section inserted
2. The Law Reform (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Death and Interest) Act [Cap. 27] is amended by inserting the following new section after section 3 -
"Judgment debts to carry interest
4. - (1) Every Judgment Debt shall carry interest at the rate of four cents per centum per annum from time of entering up the Judgment until the same shall be satisfied, and such interest may be levied under a Writ of Execution on such Judgment.
(2) Rules of court may provide for the court to disallow all or part of any interest otherwise payable under subsection (1).
(3) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section, the State Proceedings Act or any other written law, no interest shall be payable on any Judgment Debt entered in any proceedings against the State, or the Attorney-General."
Given under my hand this 28th day of October 2011.
President of the Republic of Fiji