Fiji Promulgations and Decrees
THE REPUBLIC OF FIJI
DECREE NO. 21
LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT (AMENDMENT) (NO. 1) DECREE 1988
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title
3. Appointment of councillors
4. Repealed provisions of the Act
5. Coming into force
IN exercise of the powers vested in me as the person appointed under section 3 of the Head of State and Executive Authority of Fiji Decree 1988 to perform the functions of the office of President of the Republic of Fiji, I acting in accordance with advice of the Cabinet hereby make the following decree-
1. This Decree may be cited as the Local Government Act (Amendment) (No. 1) Decree 1988.
2. In this Decree-
“Act” means the Local Government Act;
“council” means the council of a city or town;
“councillor” means a member of the council of a city or town;
“Minister” means Minister responsible for Urban Development;
“municipality” means a city or town.
Appointment of Councillors
3. Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 130; 131 and 131A of the Act the Minister shall have power to appoint to any council such person or persons to be member thereof and who shall be deemed to be a member or members of the council of the municipality and shall, subject to any general or special directions issued by the Minister, have, perform and discharge all the rights, privileges, powers, duties and functions vested in or conferred or imposed on the council, the Mayor or any officer of the council by the Act or any written law;
Provided that in making such appointments the Minister shall take proper regard of the need to ensure that, the council’s business are conducted efficiently and effectively and vacancies arising by virtue of the provisions of section 16A of the Act are properly filled.
Repealed provisions of this Act
4. The provision of the Act in so far as they are inconsistent with the provisions of this Decree are hereby repealed and for the benefit of any doubt provisions relating to the election of councillors except as they relate to serving members are hereby repealed.
Coming into force
5. This Decree shall be deemed to have come into force on the 1st day of March 1988.
Dated this 25th day of February 1988.
The person appointed to perform the
functions of the Office of President