Fiji Promulgations and Decrees
Download original PDF
GOVERNMENT OF FIJI
ELECTORAL (AMENDMENT) DECREE 2014
(DECREE NO. 23 OF 2014)
IN exercise of the powers vested in me as the President of the Republic of Fiji and the Commander in Chief of the Republic of Fiji Military Forces by virtue of the Executive Authority of Fiji Decree 2009 and section 165(2) of the Constitution of the Republic of Fiji, I hereby make the following Decree—
A DECREE TO AMEND THE ELECTORAL DECREE 2014
Short title and commencement
1.—(1) This Decree may be cited as the Electoral (Amendment) Decree 2014 and shall come into force on the date of its publication in the Gazette.
(2)The Electoral Decree 2014 shall be referred to as the "Principal Decree".
Section 36 amended
2. Section 36 of the Principal Decree is amended by inserting the following new subsection after subsection (5)—
"(6) The National Candidates List must not contain any party name or party symbol."
Section 43 amended
3. Section 43 of the Principal Decree is amended in subsection (1) by deleting paragraph (f) and substituting the following new paragraphs—
"(f) sufficient copies of the National Candidates List together with instructions on how to vote which must be made available to or accessible by each voter; and
(g) such written directions not inconsistent with the National Candidates List or any provision of this Decree issued by the Supervisor to every presiding officer with respect to the orderly conduct of the election."
Section 53 amended
4. Section 53 of the Principal Decree is amended by inserting the following new subsection after subsection (1)—
"(1A) The presiding officer or a designated election official must make available to the voter or provide the voter with access to a copy of the National Candidates List together with instructions on how to vote."
Section 82 amended
5. Section 82 of the Principal Decree is amended in subsection (2) by inserting the following new paragraph after paragraph (d)—
"(e) is in any other place approved by the Electoral Commission."
Section 104 amended
6. Section 104 of the Principal Decree is amended in subsection (5) by deleting “seats being contested” and substituting “candidates nominated by that party”.
Given under my hand this 27th day of June 2014.
President of the Republic of Fiji