Fiji Sessional Legislation
Download original PDF
REPUBLIC OF FIJI
Workmen's Compensation (Amendment) Act 2017
ACT NO. 3 OF 2017
J. K. KONROTE President
[14 February 2017]
TO AMEND THE WORKMEN'S COMPENSATION ACT 1964
ENACTED by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji—
Short title and commencement
1.—(1) This Act may be cited as the Workmen's Compensation (Amendment) Act 2017.
(2) This Act comes into force on a date or dates appointed by the Minister by notice in the Gazette.
(3) In this Act, the Workmen's Compensation Act 1964 is referred to as the "Principal Act".
Section 3 amended
2. Section 3 of the Principal Act is amended by inserting the following new definition—
""Impairment Assessment Training" means the training of local medical practitioners by a medical consultant or physician in how to evaluate or assess the percentage of impairment or disability of workers as a result of a workplace accident, injury or disease;"
Section 13 amended
3. Section 13 of the Principal Act is amended by—
(a) deleting "and before the workman has voluntarily left the employment in which he or she was injured"; and
(b) deleting "12 months" wherever it appears and substituting "3 years".
Section 14 amended
4. Section 14(3) of the Principal Act is amended by inserting "in the form prescribed under Schedule 1A" after "notice".
Section 15 amended
5. Section 15(1) of the Principal Act is amended by inserting "who has completed the Impairment Assessment Training and is" after "a medical practitioner".
New Schedule inserted
6. The Principal Act is amended by inserting the following new schedule after Schedule 1—
DEMAND NOTICE TO OBTAIN DOCUMENTS OR INFORMATION
To: _________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
I, ____________________, an officer appointed under the Workmen's Compensation Act 1964 hereby require you on or before the ____________________ day of _______________________ 20 _____ to produce the following documents or information to the Ministry of Employment, Productivity and Industrial Relations:
Failure to comply with the requirements of this Demand Notice at the date and place specified above is an offence under section 14(3A) of the Workmen's Compensation Act 1964.
Dated at _______________ this ______________ day of ___________ 20 ______
Signed: Labour Inspector
Received: ____________________ Date: ____________________"
Passed by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji this 8th day of February 2017.