Fiji Sessional Legislation
WORKMEN'S COMPENSATION (AMENDMENT) ACT 1996
Act No 20 of 199
K. K. T. MARA
[21 October 1996]
TO AMEND THE WORKMEN'S COMPENSATION ACT (CHAPTER 94)
ENACTED by the Parliament of Fiji-
1. This Act may be cited as the Workmen's Compensation (Amendment) Act, 1996.
2. This Act shall come into force on a date appointed by the Minister responsible for Labour and Industrial Relations and published in -the Fiji Republic Gazette.
3. In this Act, the Workmen's Compensation Act (Chapter 94) is referred to as the "principal Act".
Section "2" amended
4. Section "2" of the principal Act is amended in the definition of the term "workman" by-
(a) deleting the words "the provisions of Section 4 and", in the second line;
(b) deleting the colon after the word "period" in the eighth line and adding the following words and expression:
"and includes personnel and officers in the Fiji Police Force, the Prisons Service, the Fiji Military Forces and Fiji Military Forces personnel and officers engaged in military duties in foreign countries:".
Section "4" repealed and replaced
5. Section "4" of the principal Act is repealed and replaced with the following:
"Application to workmen employed by Government
4. This Act shall apply to workmen employed by the Government in the same way and to the same extent as if the employer were a private person".
Passed by the House of Representatives this Thirteenth day of September, in the year of our Lord One Thousand, Nine Hundred and Ninety-Six.
Passed by the Senate this Third day of October, in the year of our Lord One Thousand, Nine Hundred and Ninety-Six.