Fiji Sessional Legislation
Download original PDF
REPUBLIC OF FIJI
Tertiary Scholarship and Loans (Budget Amendment) Act 2019
ACT NO. 17 OF 2019
J. K. KONROTE
[24 June 2019]
TO AMEND THE TERTIARY SCHOLARSHIP AND LOANS ACT 2014
ENACTED by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji—
Short title and commencement
1.—(1) This Act may be cited as the Tertiary Scholarship and Loans (Budget Amendment) Act 2019.
(2) This Act comes into force on 1 August 2019.
(3) In this Act, the Tertiary Scholarship and Loans Act 2014 is referred to as the "Principal Act".
Section 2 amended
2. Section 2 of the Principal Act is amended by—
(a) in the definition of "eligible institution" after "1", inserting "subject to conditions as determined by the Board"; and
(b) in the definition of "student" in paragraph (a), deleting "equivalent Foundation studies" and substituting "such equivalent studies as determined by the Board".
Section 4 amended
3. The Principal Act is amended by deleting section 4 and inserting the following new sections—
"Composition of the Board
4.—(1) The Board shall consist of 5 members appointed by the Minister responsible for finance in writing subject to the approval of the Prime Minister.
(2) The Minister responsible for finance shall appoint a Board member as Chairperson.
(3) A person who is a Board member immediately before 1 August 2019, continues in office on the terms on which he or she was appointed.
Remuneration of Board members
4A. A Board member is entitled to remuneration as approved by the Minister responsible for finance.".
Section 7 amended
4. Section 7 of the Principal Act is amended by deleting "2" and substituting "3".
Section 9 amended
5. The Principal Act is amended by deleting section 9 and substituting the following—
"Resignation and removal
9.—(1) A Board member may resign by giving written notice to the Minister responsible for finance.
(2) The Minister responsible for finance may, subject to the approval of the Prime Minister, at any time and for any reason, remove a Board member by giving that Board member written notice of removal.".
Section 10 amended
6. Section 10(1) of the Principal Act is amended by deleting "the Chairperson may appoint a person, whether or not a Board member, to preside as the Acting Chairperson" and substituting "a Board member appointed by the Board members present, shall preside over the meeting".
Passed by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji this 21st day of June 2019.