Fiji Sessional Legislation
Download original PDF
REPUBLIC OF FIJI
TERTIARY SCHOLARSHIP AND LOANS (BUDGET AMENDMENT) ACT 2018
ACT NO. 25 OF 2018
J. K. KONROTE
[13 July 2018]
TO AMEND THE TERTIARY SCHOLARSHIP AND LOANS ACT 2014
ENACTED by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji—
Short title and commencement
1.—(1) This Act may be cited as the Tertiary Scholarship and Loans (Budget Amendment) Act 2018.
(2) This Act comes into force on 1 August 2018.
(3) In this Act, the Tertiary Scholarship and Loans Act 2014 is referred to as the “Principal Act”.
Section 5 amended
2. Section 5 of the Principal Act is amended by deleting “of Finance” wherever it appears and substituting “responsible for finance”.
Section 5A inserted
3. The Principal Act is amended after section 5 by inserting the following new section—
“Eligible institution to provide required information
5A.—(1) The Board may request information from an eligible institution to assist in the performance of its functions under section 5, including requests for enrolment and academic reports.
(2) An eligible institution, when submitting information requested under subsection (1), shall do so within the time specified in an approved form.”.
Section 26 amended
4. Section 26 of the Principal Act is amended after “may” by inserting “by notice in the Gazette”.
Schedule 1 amended
5. Schedule 1 to the Principal Act is amended after paragraph 8 by inserting the following new paragraphs—
“9. Pacific Flying School
10. Advance Aviation Training (Fiji) Ltd”.
Schedule 2 amended
6. Schedule 2 to the Principal Act is amended by—
(a) in paragraph 1—
- (i) deleting “600” and substituting “970”; and
- (ii) after “preceding”, inserting “the”;
(b) in paragraph 2, deleting “the previous year” and substituting “2011 and any year thereafter”;
(c) in paragraph 8, deleting the heading and substituting the following—
- “Scholarship Scheme for students with special needs”;
(d) in paragraph 10—
- (i) in the heading after “post-graduate”, inserting “and MBBS”; and
- (ii) after the first sentence, inserting the following new sentence—
- “This scheme shall also apply to graduate students intending to upgrade to a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) qualification.”; and
(e) after paragraph 10, inserting the following new paragraph—
- “11. Post-graduate Scholarship – Local Awards Scheme Full scholarships for students intending to upgrade to a Masters degree qualifications or PhD qualifications.”.
Passed by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji this 12th day of July 2018.