Fiji Sessional Legislation
Download original PDF
REPUBLIC OF FIJI
TELECOMMUNICATIONS (BUDGET AMENDMENT) ACT 20128
ACT NO. 24 OF 2018
J. K. KONROTE
[13 July 2018]
TO AMEND THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT 2008
ENACTED by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji—
Short title and commencement
1.- (1) This Act may be cited as the Telecommunications (Budget Amendment) Act 2018.
(2) This Act comes into force on 1 August 2018.
Section 82 amended
2. Section 82(1) of the Telecommunications Act 2008 is amended by-
(a) in paragraph (f), deleting “the Magistrates Court” and substituting “court”; and
(b) after paragraph (l), inserting the following new paragraphs—
- “(la) prescribe standards or codes of practice to ensure that service providers adopt proactive measures to improve the resilience of their telecommunications network and telecommunications service and to prevent service disruptions or outages, and in the event such service disruptions or outages occur, to ensure that service providers take all measures to restore services as soon as practicable;
- (lb) prescribe fines not exceeding $1 million for telecommunications service disruptions or outages;
- (lc) prescribe a framework for compensation to be awarded by service providers to consumers for telecommunications service disruptions or outages;”.
Passed by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji this 12th day of July 2018.