Fiji Sessional Legislation
Download original PDF
REPUBLIC OF FIJI
Telecommunications (Amendment) Act 2019
ACT NO. 27 OF 2019
J. K. KONROTE
[8 August 2019]
TO AMEND THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT 2008
ENACTED by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji—
Short title and commencement
1.—(1) This Act may be cited as the Telecommunications (Amendment) Act 2019.
(2) This Act comes into force on a date or dates appointed by the Minister by notice in the Gazette.
(3) In this Act, the Telecommunications Act 2008 is referred to as the "Principal Act".
Division 4A inserted
2. The Principal Act is amended in Part 3 after section 53 by inserting the following new Division—
Levy on data services
53A.—(1) A levy at the rate prescribed in subsection (2) shall be levied on data services.
(2) The levy payable by a service provider is $0.10 for every gigabyte of data used by a customer of the service provider.
(3) The service provider is liable to pay the levy to the State.
(4) The amount of any levy payable under this section is recoverable as a civil debt due to the State.".
Section 82 amended
3. Section 82(1) of the Principal Act is amended after paragraph (g) by inserting the following new paragraph—
"(ga) prescribe the method for calculating and collecting the levy payable under section 53A;".
Passed by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji this 8th day of August 2019.