Fiji Sessional Legislation
SMALL CLAIMS TRIBUNALS DEGREE (AMENDMENT) ACT 1997
Act No. 15 of 1997
[17 October 1997]
TO AMEND THE SMALL CLAIMS TRIBUNALS DEGREE 1991
ENACTED by the Parliament of Fiji.
PART 1 - PRELIMINARY
Short title and commencement
1.-(1) This Act may be cited as the Small Claims Tribunal Decree (Amendment) Act 1997.
(2) This Act shall come into force on the day it is published in the Fiji Republic Gazette.
2. In this Act "the degree" means the Small Claims Tribunal Degree 1991.
PART 2 - AMENDMENTS TO THE DEGREE
Section “30” amended
3. Subsection "(6)" of section 30 of the Degree is repealed.
Section “33” amended
4. Section "33" of the Decree is amended in subsection "(3)" by deleting the words "High Court or any Magistrates' Court (as the case may be)" and substituting the word "Tribunal".
Form 1 of First Schedule amended
5. Paragraph "(5)" of the "Notice of Hearing" is deleted and replaced as follows:-
"(5) If you do not appear at the hearing, the Tribunal:-
(a) may decide the case in your absence;
(b) may make an order or orders against you; and
(c) may enforce orders made against you without further notification."
Passed by the House of Representatives this second day of September, in the year of our Lord One thousand, Nine Hundred and Ninety-Seven.
Passed by the Senate this thirtieth day of September, in the year of our Lord One Thousand, Nine Hundred and Ninety-Seven.