Fiji Sessional Legislation
Download original PDF
REPUBLIC OF FIJI
LAND TRANSPORT (BUDGET AMENDMENT) ACT 2017
ACT NO. 32 OF 2017
J. K. KONROTE
[14 July 2017]
TO AMEND THE LAND TRANSPORT ACT 1998
ENACTED by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji—
Short title and commencement
1.—(1) This Act may be cited as the Land Transport (Budget Amendment) Act 2017.
(2) This Act comes into force on a date or dates appointed by the Minister by notice in the Gazette.
(3) In this Act, the Land Transport Act 1998 is referred to as the "Principal Act".
Section 2 amended
2. Section 2 of the Principal Act is amended by inserting the following new definition—
""register" means the public service permit register maintained by the Authority under section 66A;".
Section 64 amended
3. Section 64(2) of the Principal Act is amended by deleting "at least 28 days before the expiry of the permit" and substituting "in accordance with regulations".
Section 65 amended
4. Section 65 of the Principal Act is amended after subsection (3) by inserting the following new subsection—
"(3A) A public service permit must be issued in the prescribed form.".
Sections 66A and 66B inserted
5. The Principal Act is amended after section 66 by inserting the following new sections—
"Public service permit register
66A.—(1) The Authority must keep a register of public service permits, including public service licences issued in respect of road permits.
(2) The register must be capable of recording transactions concerning dealings with public service permits.
(3) The register must be available for inspection by a permit holder upon payment of the prescribed fee and in accordance with the regulations.
Rectification of register
66B.—(1) The Authority may rectify the register in the following cases—
- (a) where there are errors or omissions in the register;
- (b) where the details of a permit holder have changed and the register is no longer accurate; or
- (c) where the Authority is satisfied that registration has been obtained or made or omitted to be made by fraud or mistake and the Authority deems it just to rectify the register.
(2) No person may make changes to the register without authorisation from the Authority.
(3) A person who contravenes subsection (2) commits an offence and is liable upon conviction to the prescribed penalty.".
Section 113 amended
6. Section 113 of the Principal Act is amended by—
(a) in the heading after "Regulations", inserting "and Service Charter"; and
(b) after subsection (4), inserting the following new subsection—
- "(4A) In relation to Part 6, the Minister may, after consultation with the Authority, publish a Service Charter by notice in the Gazette prescribing the standards of service required by public service permit holders.".
7. The Schedule to the Principal Act is amended in the table of prescribed penalties after the row prescribing the penalty for the offence under section 65(4) by inserting the following new row—
Unauthorised alteration of register
$25,000/10 years imprisonment"
Passed by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji this 14th day of July 2017.