Fiji Sessional Legislation
LOCAL GOVERNMENT (AMENDMENT) ACT 1992
ACT NO. 7 OF 1992
21 December, 1992
TO REPEAL THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT (AMENDMENT) (NO. 1) DECREE, 1988 AND TO AMEND THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT PROVIDING FOR THE ELECTION OF MEMBERS OF COUNCILS AND RELATED MATTERS. (7/92)
[1 December, 1992]
ENACTED by the Parliament of Fiji.
Short title and commencement
1. This Act may be cited as the Local Government (Amendment) Act, 1992 and shall come into force on the 1st day of December, 1992.
2. In this Act-
"Act" means the Local Government Act;
"Council" means the council of a city or town;
"Minister" means the Minister responsible for urban development;
"Municipality" means a city or town.
Repeal of the Local Government Act (Amendment) (No. 1) Decree, 1988
3. The Local Government Act (Amendment) (No. 1) Decree, 1988 is repealed.
Repealed provisions of Act revived
4. (1) The provisions of the Act repealed by Section 4 of the Local Government Act (Amendment) (No. 1) Decree, 1988 are revived.
(2) For the avoidance of doubt, Sections 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 of the Act are revived.
5. (1) Elections to every municipality under the provisions of Part II of the Act shall be held on a date to be fixed by the Electoral Commission.
(2) The Electoral Commission shall review the division of towns and cities into wards before municipality elections are held in accordance with subsection (1) to ensure a fair representation of electors notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (3) of Section 5 of the Act.
6. Until elections are held in accordance with the provisions of the Act, the Minister shall have power to appoint to any council such person or persons to be member thereof and who shall be deemed to be a member or members of the municipality and shall, subject to any general or special directions issued by the Minister, have, perform and discharge all the rights, privileges, powers, duties and functions vested in or conferred or imposed on the council, the Mayor or any officer of the council by the Act or any written law.
Passed by the House of Representatives this eighth day of December, in the year of our Lord one thousand, nine hundred and ninety-two.
Passed by the Senate this sixteenth day of December, in the year of our Lord one thousand, nine hundred and ninety-two.