Fiji Sessional Legislation
Download original PDF
REPUBLIC OF FIJI
iTAUKEI LAND TRUST (AMENDMENT) ACT 2019
ACT NO. 2 OF 2019
J. K. KONROTE
[13 February 2019]
TO AMEND THE iTAUKEI LAND TRUST ACT 1940
ENACTED by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji—
Short title and commencement
1.—(1) This Act may be cited as the iTaukei Land Trust (Amendment) Act 2019.
(2) This Act comes into force on a date appointed by the Minister by notice in the Gazette.
(3) In this Act, the iTaukei Land Trust Act 1940 is referred to as the “Principal Act”.
Section 2 amended
2. Section 2 of the Principal Act is amended in the definition of “Secretary” by deleting “section 30” and substituting “section 30B”.
Section 30 amended
3. The Principal Act is amended by deleting section 30 and inserting the following new sections—
“Appointment of chief executive officer
30.—(1) The Board may appoint a suitably qualified person as chief executive officer of the Board, in accordance with terms and conditions determined by the Board.
(2) The chief executive officer shall be paid such remuneration and receive such benefits as determined in accordance with the Higher Salaries Act 2011.
Functions of chief executive officer
30A.—(1) The chief executive officer shall be responsible to the Board for—
- (a) the proper administration and management of the functions and the affairs of the Board in accordance with this Act; and
- (b) the implementation of the instructions and the policies of the Board made pursuant to this Act.
(2) The chief executive officer must attend every meeting of the Board, and if the chief executive officer, for any reason, is unable to attend a meeting, the chief executive officer may, in consultation with the chairperson, nominate an officer to attend the meeting on his or her behalf.
(3) The chief executive officer shall not engage in any other business without the prior consent of the Board.
Appointment of officers
30B.—(1) The Board may appoint a secretary and such managers, officers, consultants and agents as it considers necessary for the efficient exercise of its powers, and the performance and discharge of its functions and duties under this Act.
(2) Any person appointed under this section shall be paid such remuneration as determined by the Board, and shall be appointed on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Board.”.
4. The Higher Salaries Act 2011 is amended in the Schedule by—
(a) in paragraph 42, deleting “.”; and
(b) after paragraph 42, inserting the following new paragraph—
- “43. iTaukei Land Trust Board”.
Passed by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji this 12th day of February 2019.