Fiji Sessional Legislation
Download original PDF
REPUBLIC OF FIJI
Financial Management (Budget Amendment) Act 2019
ACT NO. 16 OF 2019
J. K. KONROTE
[24 June 2019]
TO AMEND THE FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT ACT 2004
ENACTED by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji—
Short title and commencement
1.—(1) This Act may be cited as the Financial Management (Budget Amendment) Act 2019.
(2) This Act comes into force on 1 August 2019.
(3) In this Act, the Financial Management Act 2004 is referred to as the "Principal Act".
Section 2 amended
2. Section 2(1) of the Principal Act is amended by deleting the definition of "responsible authority" and inserting the following new definitions—
""responsible authority" means the person or persons as prescribed by regulations;
"standard expenditure group" means a standard expenditure group as identified in the annual budget;".
Section 7 amended
3. Section 7 of the Principal Act is amended by—
(a) renumbering section 7 as section 7(1); and
(b) after subsection (1), inserting the following new subsections—
- "(2) The responsible authority for a head of appropriation or standard expenditure group is responsible for managing the head of appropriation or standard expenditure group in accordance with the requirements of this Act and with due regard to the principles of responsible financial management.
- (3) The responsible authority for a State entity may, in writing, either generally or particularly, delegate any of its responsibilities under subsection (1) to an officer within the State entity as the responsible authority thinks fit.
- (4) Any delegation under subsection (3) is revocable at will by the responsible authority, and no such delegation prevents the exercise of any responsibility by the responsible authority.
- (5) Any delegation under subsection (3), until revoked, continues in force according to its tenor notwithstanding that all or any of the members of the responsible authority at the time when the delegation was made has ceased to hold office, and continues to have effect as if made by a successor in office.".
Section 37A amended
4. Section 37A(7) of the Principal Act is amended by deleting the definition of "responsible authority".
Section 80 amended
5. Section 80 of the Principal Act is amended by deleting paragraph (b) and substituting the following—
"(b) the powers, functions and duties of a permanent secretary under this Act are exercisable in relation to the entity by the responsible authority.".
Passed by the Parliament of the Republic of Fiji this 21st day of June 2019.