Fiji Sessional Legislation
FIJI INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (AMENDMENT) ACT 1998.
ACT NO. 4 OF 1998
K. K. T. MARA
[20 April 1998]
TO AMEND THE FIJI INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY DECREE
ENACTED by the Parliament of Fiji-
1. This Act may be cited as the Fiji Institute of Technology (Amendment) Act 1998.
2. In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires, "Decree" means the Fiji Institute of Technology Decree 1992.
Section 4 amended
3. Section 4 of the Decree is amended by deleting subsections (1), (2), (3) and (4) and replacing them with the following new subsections-
"(1) The Council shall comprise -
(a) the Permanent Secretary for Education or his nominee;
(b) the Permanent Secretary for Labour and Industrial Relations or his nominee;
(c) the Director General of the Fiji National Training Council or his nominee;
(d) the Director of the Fiji Institute of Technology;
(e) one member appointed by the Fiji Institute of Technology Staff Association;
(f) one member appointed by the Fiji Employers' Federation;
(g) one member appointed by the Fiji Trade Union Congress;
(h) one member appointed by the Council of the University of the South Pacific;
(i) one member to represent the interests of the engineering industry;
(j) one member to represent the interests of the business community;
(k) one member to represent the interests of the hospitality and tourism industry; and
(l) two members appointed by the Minister having regard to the achievement of balance in gender, race and geographic region.
(2) Members specified in subsection (1) (i), (j) and (k) shall be elected in each case by a College of Electors, the membership of which shall be determined by the Minister after consultation with the professional and industry bodies relevant to each category.
(3) A member, other than a member specified in subsection (1) (a), (b), (c) or (d), is to be appointed for a term of not more than 3 years and is eligible for re-appointment unless he or she resigns or is removed.
(4) A member, other than a member specified in subsection (1) (a), (b), (c) or (d), may resign by writing to the appointing authority and is deemed to have resigned from the date of the delivery of the letter to the appointing authority.
(5) The Minister may remove for cause a member, other than a member specified in subsection (1) (a), (b), (c) or (d), if the Minister is satisfied that the member is unable to perform his or her duties under this Decree.".
Section 5 amended
4. Section 5 of the Decree is amended-
(a) in paragraph (c), by deleting the words "Permanent Secretary" and substituting the word "Minister"; and
(b) by adding after paragraph (c)-
"(ca) to prepare annual estimates of expenditure based on the number of equivalent full time students to be enrolled and on the basis of such estimates to negotiate the level of funding with the Minister;";
(c) in paragraph (d) after the word "for" in line 2, by deleting the phrase "vocational training and education" in line 2 and substituting the phrase "technical and vocational education and training";
(d) in paragraph (e), by deleting the word "educational" in line 2 and substituting the word "education,";
(e) in paragraph (f), by deleting the phrase "vocational training and education" and substituting the phrase "technical and vocational education and training";
(f) in paragraph (g), by inserting after the word "responsible" the words "effective and efficient";
(g) in paragraph (i), by inserting after the word "Technology" the phrase "and academic requirements and conditions prescribed by regulations".
Section 8 amended
5. Section 8 of the Decree is amended in subsection (1)-
(a) by deleting the full stop at the end and substituting a colon; and
(b) by adding the following proviso-
"PROVIDED that members specified in section 4(1)(b) to (e) are not eligible for appointment as the Chairperson".
Section 17 amended
6. Section 17 of the Decree is amended in paragraph (e) by deleting, after the word "Council", the phrase "for the keeping of attendance registers in such a form as may be required from time to time by the Permanent Secretary and".
Section 18 replaced
7. Section 18 is repealed and replaced by-
"18. The Council may make regulations necessary to carry into effect the provisions of this Decree, and in particular to-
(a) establish and regulate the operation of an Academic Board;
(b) regulate the proper implementation and efficient administration of this Decree; and
(c) regulate academic requirements and conditions.".
Passed by the House of Representatives this Ninth day of March, in the year of our Lord One Thousand, Nine Hundred and Ninety-Eight
Passed by the Senate this Thirty-First day of March, in the year of our Lord One Thousand, Nine Hundred and Ninety-Eight.