Fiji Sessional Legislation
EMPLOYMENT (AMENDMENT) ACT 1996
NO. 6 OF 1996
[28 June 1996]
TO AMEND THE EMPLOYMENT ACT
ENACTED by the Parliament of Fiji-
Short title and commencement
1. (1) This Act may be cited as the Employment (Amendment) Act, 1996.
(2) This Act shall come into force on the day it is published in the Fiji Republic Gazette.
2. In this Act, the Employment Act is referred to as the "principal Act".
Section "65" of principal Act repealed and replaced
3. Section "65" of the principal Act is repealed and replaced as follows:
"Power to prescribe conditions for the employment of women
and young persons on night work
65. The Minister may, after consultation with the Labour Advisory Board, by Order prescribe conditions for the employment of women and young persons on night work in any industrial undertaking.
For the purpose of this Section "night work" means any work performed in the interval between 6 o'clock in the evening of any day and 6 o'clock in the morning of the following day."
Section "66" of the principal Act repealed and replaced
4. Section "66" of the principal Act is repealed and replaced as follows:
66. Any person who employs a woman or young person in contravention of any Order made in accordance with Section 65, shall commit an offence against this Act."
Passed by the House of Representatives this Fourteenth day of May, in the year of our Lord One Thousand, Nine Hundred and Ninety-Six.
Passed by the Senate this Tenth day of June, in the year of our Lord One Thousand, Nine Hundred and Ninety-Six.