Fiji Sessional Legislation
COMMUNITY WORK (AMENDMENT) ACT 1998
ACT NO. 45 OF 1998
[17 September 1998]
TO AMEND THE COMMUNITY WORK ACT
ENACTED by the Parliament of the Fiji Islands-
Short title etc.
1.-(1) This Act may be cited as the Community Work (Amendment) Act 1998.
(2) In this Act, the Community Work Act 1994 is referred to as the "principal Act".
2. Section 2 of the principal Act is amended in the definition of "Supervising Officer" by inserting ", or a person specified in the Schedule," immediately after "probation officer".
Sentence of community work
3. Section 3 of the principal Act is amended by adding the following new subsection-
"(4) When sentencing an offender to community work the court must designate the supervising officer to whom the offender is to report.".
4. Section 7 of the principal Act is amended-
(a) in subsection (1) by adding ", or a person appointed under subsection (3)," after "probation officer";
(b) by adding the following new subsections-
"(3) The Minister may in writing appoint any person who comes into one of the categories specified in the Schedule as a Supervising Officer.
(4) A person appointed under subsection (3) is entitled to salary or allowances to be fixed by the Minister.
(5) The Minister may by order in the Gazette amend the Schedule.".
5. The principal Act is amended by adding the following Schedule-
A. Ministers or priests of a religion.
B. The following community development workers-
(b) Village headmen (Turaga ni Koro);
(c) Advisory or Provincial Councillors.
C. The following public servants-
(a) Women's Interest Officers;
(b) Youth Officers;
(c) District Officers;
(d) Agricultural Officers;
(e) Medical Officers.".
Passed by the House of Representatives this 12th day of August 1998.
Passed by the Senate this 9th day of September 1998.